Tuesday, May 10, 2005

I Have A Friend...

There is a young man I know who is very good at saying the most awkward things at the precise moment that the statement would be the most awkward. Usually, he doesn't say the statement. Instead, he sings it.

As you already know, this past weekend, I went to see a play at my best friend's church. This young friend of mine came along.

He's always a blast to have around.

Anyway, he also had an interesting experience in the bathroom of this church. It must be noted that his experience was in the men's bathroom (I don't know how it smells in there) and that his experience in the bathroom was much more interesting than my discovery of potpourri.

On the way to the church, we had been listening to the soundtrack of A Chorus Line because we are Broadway musical people. If you aren't familiar with that musical, many of the songs are rather awkward in and of themselves. Awkward in this sense means that some of the lyrics make me blush. One of the songs describes a dancer's feelings of inadequacy concerning her appearance, and it is severely gender specific. Another song describes another dancer's feelings of inadequacy concerning her vocal talent, but she states that her friends tell her that she has the perfect voice for singing in the shower. (This is important information to remember.)

When we got to the church, we headed to the bathrooms, he to his and me to mine. There we parted ways, and the following is his account of the events in the men's room:

Upon entering the men's room, he found a shower. (We are somewhat unsure of the purpose of the shower there, but I've found upon research that many church bathrooms also provide showers.) Because of the afore mentioned song, my friend felt the need to enter the shower and sing, and the first song that came to his mind was the other afore mentioned song (the severely gender-specific one). After singing a few bars, he exited the shower to find an extremely confused and somewhat disgruntled young man standing in the bathroom. Luckily, my friend is also very good at ignoring awkward situations, so he cheerfully greeted the young man and proceeded to use the utilities as he had intended.

Since then, the whole event has become an inside joke between him and me, but all that this entails is him repeating the awkward statement again and again. Luckily, I am also rather practiced in the art of ignoring awkward situations, and I simply laugh and slug him in the shoulder. Really hard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home